Come join the rest of the WSU astro people.
Some interesting news to discuss:
- Probing g-modes in the sun’s interior (Suggests the sun’s core is spinning very fast.)
- Sounds crazy, but mind-blowing if true: extragalactic planet detections
- SpaceX does cool stuff
- RIP Donald Lynden-Bell
- Speaking of great astrophysicists, Eugene Parker is giving a plenary talk at the April APS meeting.
Join the astro gang at the regular time and place (noon, 12th floor lounge)
Articles of possible interest:
TALuS begins this Thursday! Professors Bose and Worthey will be there. Topics for discussion:
- Dr. Worthey brings to our attention a prediction of a stellar merger and red nova outburst
The astro lunch seminar will begin next week. We’ll be meeting in the 12th floor lounge again. A new feature this semester will be the use of this website to post reading material and topics for discussion ahead of time. (Of course, we’re not limited to discussing those things.) Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning will usually be a good time to check here to see what will be on the agenda.
We will meet again on Thursday to discuss astronomy and astrophysics news.
Some fairly new topics:
- the interstellar asteroid
- the latest binary black hole detection
We’ll also continue our discussion of how to improve these meetings next semester.